AIHPC Restoration Projects
The Conservancy’s Board has determined that one of the strongest contributions that can be made by the organization is to supplement the capabilities of governmental entities and other nonprofit groups in restoring and maintaining historically-significant buildings and structures throughout the region.
National Trust for Historic Preservation (2014): AIHPC recommends to National Park Service that Sand and Rocky Island properties be treated as priorities for historic leasing to reduce federal funding and maintenance backlog problems and promote historic preservation.
West Bay Club Lodge (2007-2013): As approved by the National Park Service, a focal point of AIHPC restoration work has been the historic West Bay Club Lodge on Sand Island. This property is located within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Fee title is held by the United States, with a life estate held by Howard Peters of Mellen, Wisconsin. The Lodge has been determined to be eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. Designed in 1912, the Lodge is historically significant for its role in the development of tourism in the Apostle Islands region and its association with the renowned architectural firm of Charles Buechner and Henry Orth, who built it for their personal use. To date, the Conservancy has provided both funds and donated labor to replace the dock at the Lodge, conducted major grading and landscaping work to improve site drainage and protect the building’s log foundation, and repaired numerous structural features. In March 2010, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Midwest Office, awarded the AIHPC a matching grant under the prestigious Jeffris Family Endowed Preservation Fund to prepare a detailed condition assessment/building structural condition study of the Lodge. Completed in November 2011, the study will be used to direct additional restoration projects of the Lodge, as approved by the National Park Service. With the assistance of five leading historic preservation experts, the Conservancy prepared the nomination report for listing the West Bay Club on the National Register of Historic Places. That report is now undergoing final review for submission to the Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Officer. During the summer of 2013, the Conservancy carried out a project to restore the icehouse and enlisted the help of a youth group from the Conservation Corps of Minnesota and Iowa.
Washburn Memorial Park Kitchen (2008-2009): The AIHPC supported the City of Washburn in its efforts to restore the Memorial Park kitchen. Established in 1919, the DuPort Patriotic Committee donated the Park to the City. The Park serves as a memorial to the soldiers, sailors, and marines of Washburn who fought in World War I. Built in 1924, the kitchen building has supported the active use of the Park for picnics and community events. The AIHPC made a grant donation to the City to support moving the building to a dry location in the Park and for restoration work. In addition, through the volunteer services of retired National Park Service historian Bob Mackreth, the AIHPC donated a mitigation strategy to ensure recognition of the kitchen’s historic significance and a detailed history of the structure and an interpretative plan.
St. Anthony Mission Church, Belanger Settlement (2008-2012): The Belanger Settlement is a small, isolated hamlet approximately ten miles west of Bayfield, with a rich Native American heritage. The residents of the community have formed an active historical society that has taken ownership of the historic St. Anthony Mission Church (1899), which once served as a center of community life. The Belanger Settlement Historic Society is actively engaged in the restoration of the church, and in 2008 – 2012 the AIHPC donated funds to assist in those efforts.
Friends of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore/Raspberry Island Boathouse (Ongoing): Over several years, the Conservancy has made donations to the historic preservation fund of the Friends, which is raising money to restore the Raspberry Island light station boathouse under the direction of the National Park Service.
Christ Episcopal Church (2011): The Conservancy provided a grant to the Christ Episcopal Church to cover unexpected expenses incurred to replace rotten wood during the restoration process of this historic building, built in 1870 and considered one of the key landmarks in the city of Bayfield.
Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Cemetery (2011-2012): The Conservancy donated funds to the Red Cliff Band to support demarcation of the tribal cemetery and sponsor a program about its history.